Elbow strikes are some of the most effective and devestating weapons your body has to offer. They are most effective when delivered in close range or in the clinch. Many MMA fighters and hand to hand combat experts use them very well against a cage or a wall.
Elbow strikes have the ability to cut, smash, and pulverize your opponent. In the H2H Combat system we use the elbow strike in numerous scenarios when we enter into grappling or close combat fighting range against an aggressive attacker. Below you can see the progression of an elbow smash off of a punch. This is one of my many striking defenses / attacks you can do to open up some opportunities to finish your opponent off with more strikes or athrow / takedown. It is also one of my favorite entrances into grappling range.
Step 1: An Aggressive attack typically punches with a looping strike such as a haymaker, overhand right, or a hook punch.
As the strike in coming in JAM your lead hand over the attacking arm. Do NOT try to karate block or even block the punch. Think of japping between his shoulder and his bicep.
Step 2: Step deep into your JAM with your lead leg and let the elbow smash into his face.
|Step 3: Finish him off with an Outside Leg Reap Takedown or another H2H Technique.|
|Visit H2H Self- Defense to Learn More about Striking Defense, Standing Takedowns and Throws, Ground Fighting Defense and Weapons Defense|
Muay Thai Boxing is also known for its vicious elbows, especially delivered inside the clinch range. Below you'll also find a video by Rob "Razor" McCullough highlighting how to throw the Muay Thai Elbow.Additional Resources:
- Street Fighting Uncaged Manual - Learn Viscous and Brutal Illegal MMA techniques that can be used to defend yourself in a real street fight
- H2H Combat System Manual and Videos - The most complete Military Hand-to-Hand Combat Manual that gives you 95% of the necessary responses to end a street fight situation.
- Guys - I offered this before, if you decide to purchase the Street Fighting Uncaged Manual, I will send you the "Essential Jiu-jitsu Techniques for the Street" ebook from the H2H Self-Defense manual. It is a 15 page technique manual that will provide you some essential techniques that can be used. After you've purchased, just simply reply with your name and I'll email you the manual.
- Certified H2H Combat instructor in the H2H System
- 2nd Degree Black Belt in Kobukai Ju-Jitsu
- Purple Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
- Competitor in Jiu-Jitsu, Grappling and MMA
- Operated Self-defense and Ju-Jitsu School in Cromwell, CT
|< Prev||Next >|